Friday, August 23, 2013

Bitchin’ Fridays: Female Directors


           
            If you saw my tweet this afternoon, you knew this was coming.  Why I will never work with female directors again.  I’m sure you guessed it, it has to do with the pro-bono gig and yes I am going back on my work to never talk about it again.  But damn it, it is my blog and I will write what I want!

            I received an email this afternoon from the director.  Right off the bat she ask me to send the pro tools session to the kid (well thanks for buttering me up first sweet heart), then thanks me for all my hard work.  She goes on to say she has asked the kid to “some finite tweaking to the sound mix, and work with the composter on fitting the score, which we keep moving around.  Well that is a bit of a slap to the face. 
            What I am reading out of it is that she is not happy with my work and instead of trying to work it out with me; she goes back to the kid who previously dropped the ball. I can never understand why, in my experience, a female director never confront an editor and say “I don’t like this or this; I want more of this, lose that and go!”  Instead I am usually left with “umm that sounds good” and nothing more.  No feedback whatsoever or true direction of how she wants the film to sound. 
            All I’m asking is when I ask you to listen to the mix I send you please send me some feedback on what you want changed and not wait two weeks after I send you the mix to say something or throw a wrench into the system.  I hate not hearing back from someone with in a three day period.  It really pisses me off when you respond over a week later with minimal comments.  Make me think that you just don’t give a damn to your own project, so why should I care.
            I almost want to do a real bitch move and tell her to fuck off and have the kid start from scratch like I had to.  But I just can’t seem to muster up the courage to do this.  Another option I was considering was to only send a cleaned up version of the OMF to the kid minus all of my library sounds, I really don’t want him to be using my sound for any of his future work.  One thing is for sure, I am not replying immediately to the director due to A) rudeness B) lack of communication and response time.  A little childish, yes but I don’t like being yanked around.

            To say that I will never work with another female director is partially correct.  I will only be working with a female director if all the following criteria are followed:
1) Must have multiple credits as a director
2) Must have a reputation within the filming community, wither it be local or national
3) Has won awards on the films directed or widely known and don’t have to search endless pages of the web to find it.
4) Must communicate well with the crew I post
5) Must reply to email or phone messages in a timely fashion
One might say I might be harsh towards inspiring female directors but all I have to say in response is:
Once Bitten, Twice Shy

             Think I am being harsh or irrational about female directors?  Have a suggestion on what I should do, let me in the comment section below.  See you Monday for a wrap up of my week.


See you on the other side.

No comments:

Post a Comment