Friday, September 6, 2013

Product Review: Necomimi Ears



            Last weekend I was very fortunate to have the best boyfriend in the world.  He got us last minute PAX tickets for the entire weekend.  Even more so at PAX he bought me Necomimi ears!
           
Me in my ears.  Taken on a shitty camera.

            What is it?
It is a brainwave sensor picks up and reacts to the electronic pulse given off by neurons in your brain.  It then takes those pulses and filters out electorate noise from the out side and in your brain as well, and then interprets the brain waves in one of 4 categories.  See pic below.
           
            Who is this for?
This is for convention goers, cosplayers, owners or employees or geek/game shops, and people who can’t form expressions on there face.

            What is in the box?
Necomimi head set, 1 pair of ears (the white ones), and instruction manual. 

            How do I turn it on?
This device takes 4 AAA batteries, once you have placed them in the battery compartment all you have to do is place the head set (with the ears on) on your heard, adjust the forehead sensor so it is firmly flushed above your left eyebrow, and push the button on the side.  It takes the headset about a minute to calibrate the ears, for me it is around 30 seconds, and then you are off to show the world how you are feeling.

            My ears are on, how long do they last before I have to switch out the batteries?
For me they lasted around 4 hours of strait use.  It also depends on how active your brain is at the time of wearing them.  I had them on when I was walking around PAX, I had a lot of visual and acoustic sensors working over time causing my ears to move frequently and perk up a lot.

            Is it comfortable to wear for long periods at a time?
Kind of.  There is an ear clip that attaches to the lobe of your ear.  It is a very tight clamp that, I didn’t take any notice to it until roughly 2 hours into my first day of wearing them. If you have a large head the head set will feel tight on your temples and the forehead sensor will feel tight as well.  After a few wears you will not notice the pressure from the clamp or headset it’s self.  But it does leave an impression on your ear from the clamp as well as a circular impression from the forehead sensor.  Side note the movement of the ears are noise so if you are in a quite area you may feel the need to turn them off.

            Can I get different ears for my headset?
YES!  You can buy them directly from Necomimi site or from other third parties such as Think Geek and Amazon for an additional $20.  What I like is if you are a very crafty person you can buy blank foamies and create your own ear style.

            I want to buy them, How much and were can I get them?
I bought mine off the PAX show floor, but you can buy them online from there website or Amazon.  They cost around $70, much better than when they first came out at $100. 

            Your best experience wearing them.
There were 2 instances of awesome when I wore my ears.  The first time I put them on my boyfriend’s kitten kept looking at me weird and tried to bat at my ears.  My cat on the other hand didn’t care and just anted food.   The second time was when I walked around the show Floor at PAX, running into my friend and seeing there reaction to my ears as they perked up when I saw them.  I really should have been a paid spoke person for them, I probably sent at least 20 people to there booth.

            I enjoy my ears; I will probably wear them to conventions, Halloween, and parties.  Are they a sound investment to everyone?  Probably not, but it is a fun prop and gives insight to future brainwave technology.  If you are on the fence I would suggest find a friend who has then and test them out for yourself.

             Do you own a pair of Necomimi or have tried them in the past?  Have a suggestion on what I should review next; let me in the comment section below.  Check out the Necomimi site for more in formation and product videos.  See you Monday for a wrap up of my week.


See you on the other side.

No comments:

Post a Comment