Wednesday, January 29, 2014

California Trip




            So I am finally back from my trip to California.  It wasn’t a business or really even a pleasure trip; it was more of a small family reunion for my grandfather’s 100th birthday.  As with any time family gets together there will be drama.  I only regret not taking more pictures.
            As many of you know I left on Thursday, thus the early Friday rant.  I have never been so thankful that my dad flies so much; he got my mom and me first class tickets down and back.  Holy crap, I will save up money to travel just for the leg room alone. 
Such Leg Room, So WoW
            We also were able to sit in the Alaska airlines board room.  It was nice and quiet; we even had breakfast in there.  The flight it’s self down had quiet a bit of turbulence, my mother griped my hand so hard I thought it was going to fall off.  When we landed and went to pick up my parent’s luggage my mom’s bag was missing.  They had lost her luggage and later we found out it went to Newport Connecticut.  This is why I packed everything in my carryon backpack.  Good news is it did arrive to the original airport but not until the next day.  This meant my mom’s cloths for the family portraits the following morning were MIA and we had to go to Target for replacement clothing. 
            Aside from the lost luggage, we had a shitty hotel.  The only upside to this place is that it was only a five minute drive from my grandfather.  The walls were thin, twice we had loud neighbors waking us up early in the morning (think 2am and 5am), the beds were a sleep number bed that would only inflate or deflate on one side, and the sink and toilet were so low you might as well be on the ground to do your business.  The name of the hotel was the Radisson.  Do Not Stay Here!
            The majority of our time was spent at my grandfather’s house socializing with family and plotting on how to escape conversations that were lasting a tad too long.  The great grandchildren had fun together and acted like they have known each other all there lives.  Overall everyone got along well.  There were only 3 planed out events that everyone had to participate in.  They were the family portraits, church lunch-in, and family only dinner. 
            The portraits were the first time I saw my cousin N since he got married.  He seemed very stand offish and didn’t socialize with anyone other than my grandfather and his family.  I guess that is the east coast arrogance peaking its head out.  His wife seemed nice, a little shy and skittish but nice.  After the portraits everyone went back to the house and had lunch.  One kid broke there arm and that killed the mood for a good 5 minutes then everyone went back to talking and playing. 
            Church gathering went well; it was good to see so many people out to celebrate my grandfather.  My sister was so surprised that I didn’t catch on fire for entering a church, and I had to remind her that I only catch fire if there was service going on.  Lucky for me everyone had speeches and no prayer was given.  It was kind of touching to see my dad get choked up when he gave his speech to his dad.   Afterwards a majority of the people went back to the house to continue to celebrate.
            The next day my parent and I meet up with my sister and her family at Knott’s Berry Farm.  I only went on a few rides since my intestines finally decided to give me a bowel movement after 3 days of nothing.  But I did go on a few: Montezoom’s Revenge, Jaguar, Hat dance (my sister could not stop laughing on that ride), Dragon Swing, and the Log ride.
            Monday night was my grandfather’s official birthday and we all had a lovely dinner at Cedar Creek.  This was the final good bye greetings to all the cousins and other family members.  My parents and I left Tuesday at noon on a bitching plane:
With some noms on the plane:


            When I arrived back home I was exhausted and thus the much delayed “Monday” post.  Now I stated earlier that there was family drama but I have only reported happy greetings and family bonding.  Well here is the drama behind the scenes.

            The drama started back last two Monday’s ago right before we were all leaving to fly down to California.  My uncle sent out an email asking my dad, my sister, and I for pictures of us growing up and our families to use in the slide show for the church gathering.  The big issue was that my sister was driving down the next day and did not have time to dig threw and send down pictures.  My mother and I scrambled and did send him some pictures for the slide show, but did anything we sent down get used, nope.  The only saving grace was the photographer used some of the portrait pictures of us in the slide show.  The shittiest part was for my sister.  Her oldest child died young (only 7 years old) and it would have been nice to include just one picture of her in memory of or something.
            Next up we have my grandfather’s second wife stirring the pot like she always does.   She tried to plan (without telling anyone) a day where my grandfather and her were going to go visit her kids (they were married in there late 80’s so her kids are my parents age) who only live an hour away from them.  The issue was my cousin N, who came across the country, wanted to spend the day with him and have his kids write a report on there grandfather.  They would be able to ask questions and get to know him better.  Once the news of my grandfather’s wife plans were for that day came up, my uncle quickly squashed them and N and his family were able to spend the day with there grandfather.  Sorry bitch, maybe next time.
            The biggest drama had bee bubbling up for over the past 15 years between my father and uncle.  When my grandmother past away 20 years ago, she told her boys to split up her jewelry between them and the grandchildren.  So for 20 year my uncle was responsible for the jewelry and he was suppose to divide it out with my father.  For 20 years this has never happened and my father was getting upset.  He would always ask my uncle for the jewelry and for them to go threw it but he would blow it off.
            The tipping point on this trip was one of my cousins was wearing one of my grandmother’s rings.  When I complemented the ring knowing full well that it was grandmothers she said thank you and that the ring was inexpensive and not worth much.  Here is the thing about my grandmother, she did not wear cheep or costume jewelry.  That ring sitting on my cousin’s finger was a gold and jade with diamonds around it.  Sorry cousin but I call you on your bull shit. 
            So that ticked off my dad.  He gave his brother one last warning to hand over the jewelry so he could at least pick some things out for my sister and I.  Well the last night we were there he handed off the boxes of jewelry to my dad so he can look threw it.  When we returned back to my grandfathers house (just my parents and I) we went to the back room to look at and pick out some pieces.  When we opened the boxes what did we find, spoons.  Lots and lots of silver and some gold spoons.   We did find some jewelry but according to my dad this was not the completed collection of my grandmother.  If my uncle had said he had already given it out to his kids or needed the money, then just tell us.  Don’t string us along for 20 plus years on soothing that is there no more.  Even my grandfather was disappointed that my dad’s family got screwed over.
            It’s not that my sister and I really wanted the jewelry; it is the principle of the matter.  I can only hope that my father keeps in mind of what my uncle has done and when my grandfather passes will have lawyer present with him so he doesn’t get screwed again. 

            So that was my trip.  Still very tired and trying to catch up on sleep.  I am suppose to go to a networking thing tonight but I don’t know.  This week I plan on taking it easy and watching the big game on Sunday.  GO HAWKS!!!!
           
            See you on the other side

No comments:

Post a Comment